Saturday 5 March 2016

Fashion Through the Decades

Recently, I visited a wonderful exhibition of Regency and Victorian Fashion at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow. The venue itself is one of my favourite places and it has a fantastic art collection. But this time, I was there for the historical costumes.

The following are a small sample of those on display. An added attraction was being able to touch samples of some of the material, while excellent information was provided on each decade and colour of fashion. An excellent day out for research and pleasure!

Regency dress and pelisse

Regency dress and spencer

Victorian Day Dresses

Print dress

Victorian red dress




And here's the impressive art gallery itself!

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum



7 comments:

Eve Webster said...

What a lovely display of dresses. I always like looking at clothes from different periods. The Victorian red dress is my favourite.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Many thanks for your kind comment, Eve. It was a wonderful display and I also like the red dress!

Carolb said...

Magnificent selection, Rosemary.

I especially like the brown pelisse at the start, and the red dress at the end. :)

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for commenting, Carol - it was a great selection but I couldn't show it all!

Maria said...

What lovely dresses. I remember one of my friends was married in a Regency gown and she looked wonderful.

Angela Barton said...

What a wonderful way to see period costume so you can describe the garments accurately in your books. Thanks for the great photos! xx

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Maria - how lovely to wear a Regency gown! I only keep this blog now for historical resources so it's good to see a couple of new comments.

Thank you, Ange - there's nothing like seeing them in real life!