Thursday 24 January 2013

Seeking Robert Burns

Since tomorrow is the annual celebration of our national bard's birthday, I couldn't let it go by without mentioning the world famous Burns Night. I've written about Robert Burns before on this blog: as an Exciseman and about the celebrations.

To add to many people's fascination with this farmer poet, we watched an excellent TV programme the other evening when forensic scientists from the University of Dundee unveiled the remaking of the poet's face as it is thought to have looked in life. A little bit different from the romanticised version we're used to seeing!

But no one can doubt the effect of Burns' poetry on the world, then and now. Happy Burns Night on 25th January!

Romy

2 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

That is so cool! I once used Robert Burns in one of my books as the favorite poet of one of my characters.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Me too, Anne - and I'm doing the rounds at the moment with one in which he appears.